Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]

От Shirley Wang
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Thanks, Dave!

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 4:23 AM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:

Why don't you use the subnode control that we use when expanding rows in other grids? That will provide consistency in design which is key to a good user experience.

I'm not sure what the subnode control is, would you be able to attach an image of what you mean?

What we’re working to validate

  • Do users need to compare two previously run queries? (Is this an edge case we need to account for?)

I've never seen anyone ask for that, though in pgAdmin 3 it was easily done with the scratch pane. Maybe we should consider adding that again.

Potentially! This was something that came up within our team as a possible use case. Good to know that the scratch pane is a potential solution if this a frequent scenario we need to account for.

  • What value does seeing time offer? If it’s to see how long ago I ran this query, how might we better display time to enable this?

I've never heard of anyone asking for that either.

Same, this was another perspective we got from the team. I think we need to dive deeper into conversations with users and understand why time is important to them. However, it doesn't seem to be a huge pain so I think it can be deprioritized and be displayed in the same way until we learn it is a problem.

FYI, the users I've spoken to that are interested in historical queries have all been asking for the 'recent queries' combo box from pgAdmin 3 to be re-implemented. I've not heard of anyone wanting to restore queries from the history tab (though I can see the value in that as well).

Yep, from our interviews we found that the reason people want to see recent queries is to iterate on it. So being able to see the full query and manipulate it somehow is important.

I prefer that layout.

Any particular reason why?

Connecting and choosing a database via the treeview gives us the context needed to create the database connection. We could potentially prompt for that info if we don't already have it, but I wouldn't want us to always prompt if we have context already.

Another option is allowing users to only start the query tool, and not use the browser at all. pgAdmin 3 had command line switches for that, and used a small dialogue to allow the user to choose the connection and database details (or they could be specified on the command line). In pgAdmin 4, that could be a login page option in server mode. In desktop mode it could be command-line switches again, that could be passed through from the runtime.

Gotcha, I didn't know command line switches existed in pgAdmin3. We were thinking in addition to enabling users to do this via command line, we should also be able to do this through the GUI as well. It would be useful for people who are less comfortable with command line. All that to say we're not sure what the workflow will be yet -ie when to ask for login credentials.