Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] [PlumAdmin][Weekly Design Update]
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:

Hello all!

This is the first design weekly update from the Plumadmin team at Pivotal. Our goal with these emails is to share out what the design/product team is working on and gather your feedback before we begin development. We'll send these out roughly every Wednesday.

Our process is iterative, meaning we start with assumptions about user behavior and continue to validate those assumptions. This is done through conversations or with feedback on wireframes. Typically, design work runs ahead of development work to minimize the risk of building the wrong thing for users. In this period, we also work closely with engineers to make sure the designs are feasible and lean. We want to do the smallest amount of work that leads to the largest value for users.

The structure of the email includes our current work, future work, and blockers we are facing. We'd love to get your input on the designs, as well as suggestions on how to unblock us.

Shirley

2.22.17 Weekly Update

Current Work

History : Enabling users to be able to see their full queries within the history panel

What we know

  • Users want to reuse queries when they are iterating upon previously run queries

  • When the changes are small, retyping queries is a painful and time consuming process

  • Users tend to use the text editor as their history, choosing not to delete each query after running it, or type out full queries in another application and copy/paste it into pgAdmin when they need to run it.

Current Design [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Why don't you use the subnode control that we use when expanding rows in other grids? That will provide consistency in design which is key to a good user experience.

Questions:

  • Is the drop down arrow affordance enough for users to know how to collapse/expand?

  • What happens if users scroll down a very long query and want to go back up?

With the subnode control you can scroll both the grid with the expanded row (or rows), and the text within a control on the subnode panel.

What we’re working to validate

  • Do users need to compare two previously run queries? (Is this an edge case we need to account for?)

I've never seen anyone ask for that, though in pgAdmin 3 it was easily done with the scratch pane. Maybe we should consider adding that again.

  • What value does seeing time offer? If it’s to see how long ago I ran this query, how might we better display time to enable this?

I've never heard of anyone asking for that either.

  • What is the best way for displaying a 1000+ line query?

A scrolling textbox/div? I don't see how else you would do it.

FYI, the users I've spoken to that are interested in historical queries have all been asking for the 'recent queries' combo box from pgAdmin 3 to be re-implemented. I've not heard of anyone wanting to restore queries from the history tab (though I can see the value in that as well).

Autoformat: Enabling users to quickly organize unformatted code into something readable

What we know

  • Users need to quickly be able to organize it for scanning and reading.

Current Design [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Same notification as v1, with the placement being in the bottom right corner.

I prefer that layout.

Redesign Dashboard: Enable Greenplum users to see only relevant info

What we know:

  • We assume that the graphs on the dashboard are not necessary for users of Greenplum to see

  • Dashboard elements are useful for other users and they need to view it

What we’re working to validate

  • If removing the graph will impact the experience negatively for Greenplum users

I can't speak for GP users needs, but have no objection if you want to design alternate dashboards specifically for GP connections.

Starting up on pgAdmin: Upon opening pgAdmin, enable users to quickly get set up to begin querying databases

What we know

  • The current process for getting to the query editor tool is a multi-step task that involves the user clicking into the browser for the right table.

  • Most users have said their purpose for using pgAdmin is to write queries, so we want to get users to that point as fast as possible.

How we will validate

  • Interviews with pgAdmin users on their needs when opening pgAdmin

  • Testing wireframes

Connecting and choosing a database via the treeview gives us the context needed to create the database connection. We could potentially prompt for that info if we don't already have it, but I wouldn't want us to always prompt if we have context already.

Another option is allowing users to only start the query tool, and not use the browser at all. pgAdmin 3 had command line switches for that, and used a small dialogue to allow the user to choose the connection and database details (or they could be specified on the command line). In pgAdmin 4, that could be a login page option in server mode. In desktop mode it could be command-line switches again, that could be passed through from the runtime.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] SlickGrid
Сообщение: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] SlickGrid