Re: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Achilleas Mantzios
<achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2015 13:40, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> On 03/13/2015 04:27 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we maintain a DB of nearly 500GB of data (and always getting larger),
>>> and we are currently thinking of moving to SSD.
>>> I have read Greg Smith's book on PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance and his
>>> considerations on SSD and the way that write back works.
>>>
>>> This particular model (Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T) does not employ any
>>> special circuitry, battery or capacitor
>>> to enforce that the data are really flushed to the medium.
>>>
>>> What is your take on this? Is it dangerous to have PgSQL on this disk
>>> especially in cases of power outages? (we have full UPS support, however
>>> nothing can be overlooked, anything can happen)
>>

>> If it does not have power loss protection, don't use it.
>

> Thanx Joshua.
>
> If theoretically somehow we eliminate the power loss factor, would it make
> sense to use such a disk?

Sadly there's no way to eliminate power loss in real life.

Now if you can live with some data loss corruption that's a different matter.

Сообщение: Re: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?
Сообщение: Re: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?