Re: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Lazaro Garcia <lazaro3487@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good morning everyone.
>
> I'm having the following problem with pgbench and test again:
>
> I create a database with a scale of 200 and execute a test (read only) with
> 40 users and this is the result:
>
> pgbench -U postgres -p 5433 -j 10 -c 40 -T 30 -h 127.0.0.1 -S  pgbench
> tps = 89329.960851 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 89348.642359 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Then restart the server and when I run the test again the result is really
> very bad and the IO starts to climb (here the weird thing is that I'm not
> writing just reading)
>
> tps = 229.842173 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 229.870409 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Can someone give me some suggestions so I can determine what's going on?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.6.2.
>
> Thank you very much for your time.

Yeah this is the file system cache warm vs cold. In the first instance
everything fits in RAM (or most of it) and is there because it's been
accessed. When you reboot the machine is "warming up" so to speak the
file system cache. Often just running select * from table is all you
need to warm them up yourself.