Обсуждение: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

[ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

От
"Lazaro Garcia"

Good morning everyone.

I'm having the following problem with pgbench and test again:

I create a database with a scale of 200 and execute a test (read only) with 40 users and this is the result:

pgbench -U postgres -p 5433 -j 10 -c 40 -T 30 -h 127.0.0.1 -S  pgbench

scaling factor: 200

query mode: simple

number of clients: 40

number of threads: 10

duration: 30 s

number of transactions actually processed: 2682306

latency average = 0.446 ms

latency stddev = 0.303 ms

Then restart the server and when I run the test again the result is really very bad and the IO starts to climb (here the weird thing is that I'm not writing just reading)

scaling factor: 200

query mode: simple

number of clients: 40

number of threads: 10

duration: 30 s

number of transactions actually processed: 6933

latency average = 174.032 ms

Can someone give me some suggestions so I can determine what's going on?

PostgreSQL 9.6.2.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards.

Re: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Lazaro Garcia <lazaro3487@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good morning everyone.
>
> I'm having the following problem with pgbench and test again:
>
> I create a database with a scale of 200 and execute a test (read only) with
> 40 users and this is the result:
>
> pgbench -U postgres -p 5433 -j 10 -c 40 -T 30 -h 127.0.0.1 -S  pgbench
> tps = 89329.960851 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 89348.642359 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Then restart the server and when I run the test again the result is really
> very bad and the IO starts to climb (here the weird thing is that I'm not
> writing just reading)
>
> tps = 229.842173 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 229.870409 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Can someone give me some suggestions so I can determine what's going on?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.6.2.
>
> Thank you very much for your time.

Yeah this is the file system cache warm vs cold. In the first instance
everything fits in RAM (or most of it) and is there because it's been
accessed. When you reboot the machine is "warming up" so to speak the
file system cache. Often just running select * from table is all you
need to warm them up yourself.

Re: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Lazaro Garcia <lazaro3487@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good morning everyone.
>>
>> I'm having the following problem with pgbench and test again:
>
> Yeah this is the file system cache warm vs cold. In the first instance
> everything fits in RAM (or most of it) and is there because it's been
> accessed. When you reboot the machine is "warming up" so to speak the
> file system cache. Often just running select * from table is all you
> need to warm them up yourself.

So -i 200 is only a couple of gigs. You should fill up the file system
cache pretty fast.

Just keep running pgbench and the numbers should climb over time.

Or you can look into the pg_prewarm module.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/pgprewarm.html

Re: [ADMIN] Help bad results with pgbench

От
"Lazaro Garcia"
Дата:
Thank you very much for the answer, your righ testing it again durin 30 min and the tps was increasing over the time.

Regards and thank you for the help.