Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?

От Wells Oliver
Тема Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?
Дата
Re: Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?  (Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>)
Re: Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?  (Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Had an issue tonight where I had a bunch of stalled queries from a client connection and I just... could... not... kill... them. We disconnected the client machine, turned it off, picked it up, shook it around, yelled at it, and still these idle queries remained in pg_stat_activity.

Then I did select pg_cancel_backend(pid) from pg_stat_activity where client_addr = '..' and they just would... not... go.. away.

So me being the big smart system administrator guy with shell access, I logged in, and did a kill -9 xxx where xxx was the sme pid from the pg_stat_activity result and... they finally went away!

Felt good about myself until I realized, well, so did every other connection, and in fact PG momentarily went into recovery mode.

Everything was fine, but a) why is it a bad idea to kill -9 a client PG process, but pg_cancel_backend() is OK-- and b) what to do about stalled PG queries that won't die when you disconnect AND when you pg_cancel_backend() them?

Thanks!