Re: Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Never kill -9 postgres client processes on Linux... but why not?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@gmail.com> writes:

> Had an issue tonight where I had a bunch of stalled queries from a
> client connection and I just... could... not... kill... them. We
> disconnected the client machine, turned it off, picked it up, shook
> it around, yelled at it, and still these idle queries remained in
> pg_stat_activity.

Idle backends won't respond to a cancel since if they're "idle" there's
nothing to cancel :-)

If OTOH you tried pg_terminate_backend and this too drew no response,
then you might have a case of backend   blocked in a critical section
such as SendV, symtomatic of a backend trying to write to a full pipe.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting