Re: Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled

От Rene Romero Benavides
Тема Re: Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It depends on the database transactional activity,
observe how many new wal files are generated during a period equivalent to what it takes to do your base backup. I would set it to twice that number. Take into account that a checkpoint is issued at the beginning of the process. If you're lazy just try setting it to something very high such as 256 or more to prevent wal files being recycled during the process.

Hi all,

Can I do a consistent file-system-level backup using the following
procedure:

1) SELECT pg_start_backup(...)
2) rsync postgres data dir to another server
3) SELECT pg_stop_backup()
4) rsync pg_xlog directory

From what I understand this should be similar to running pg_basebackup
using the -x parameter, correct? One caveat seems to be that
wal_keep_segments should be set "high enough". Can anybody tell what
"high enough" usually is?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Best regards,
Juergen