Re: Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:28:06PM -0500, Rene Romero Benavides wrote:
> It depends on the database transactional activity,
> observe how many new wal files are generated during a period equivalent to what
> it takes to do your base backup. I would set it to twice that number. Take into
> account that a checkpoint is issued at the beginning of the process. If you're
> lazy just try setting it to something very high such as 256 or more to prevent
> wal files being recycled during the process.

>     Hi all,
>
>     Can I do a consistent file-system-level backup using the following
>     procedure:
>
>     1) SELECT pg_start_backup(...)
>     2) rsync postgres data dir to another server
>     3) SELECT pg_stop_backup()
>     4) rsync pg_xlog directory
>
>     >From what I understand this should be similar to running pg_basebackup
>     using the -x parameter, correct? One caveat seems to be that
>     wal_keep_segments should be set "high enough". Can anybody tell what
>     "high enough" usually is?

I am coming late to this thread, but it seems easier for the user to set
archive_command to something meaningful during start/stop backup, and
set it to /bin/true at other times.  I realize they can't turn
archive_mode on/off without a restart.

  + Everyone has their own god. +