Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled

От Jürgen Fuchsberger
Тема Taking rsynced base-backup without wal-archiving enabled
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Can I do a consistent file-system-level backup using the following
procedure:

1) SELECT pg_start_backup(...)
2) rsync postgres data dir to another server
3) SELECT pg_stop_backup()
4) rsync pg_xlog directory

 From what I understand this should be similar to running pg_basebackup
using the -x parameter, correct? One caveat seems to be that
wal_keep_segments should be set "high enough". Can anybody tell what
"high enough" usually is?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Best regards,
Juergen