Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29 March 2018 at 23:24, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> I agree with the former, of course - docs are a must. I disagree with
>> the latter, though - there have been about no proposals how to do it
>> without the locking. If there are, I'd like to hear about it.
>
> I don't care. Either another solution needs to be found, or the locking
> needs to be automatically performed when necessary.

That seems unreasonable.

It's certainly a nice future goal to have it all happen automatically,
but we don't know what the plugin will do.

How can we ever make an unknown task happen automatically? We can't.

We have a reasonable approach here. Locking shared resources before
using them is not a radical new approach, its just standard
development. If we find a better way in the future, we can use that,
but requiring a better solution when there isn't one is unreasonable.