Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29 March 2018 at 23:30, Petr Jelinek <petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. I think the README is a good start, but I think we also need to
>>> improve the comments, which is usually more detailed than the README.
>>> For example, it's not quite acceptable that LogicalLockTransaction and
>>> LogicalUnlockTransaction have about no comments, especially when it's
>>> meant to be public API for decoding plugins.
>>
>> FWIW, for me that's ground to not accept the feature. Burdening output
>> plugins with this will make their development painful (because they'll
>> have to adapt regularly) and correctness doubful (there's nothing
>> checking for the lock being skipped).  Another way needs to be found.
>>

> I have to agree with Andres here. It's also visible in the latter
> patches. The pgoutput patch forgets to call these new APIs completely.
> The test_decoding calls them, but it does so even when it's processing
> changes for committed transaction.. I think that should be avoided as it
> means potentially doing SLRU lookup for every change. So doing it right
> is indeed not easy.

Yet you spotted these problems easily enough. Similar to finding
missing LWlocks.

> I as wondering how to hide this. Best idea I had so far would be to put
> it in heap_beginscan (and index_beginscan given that catalog scans use
> is as well) behind some condition. That would also improve performance
> because locking would not need to happen for syscache hits. The problem
> is however how to inform the heap_beginscan about the fact that we are
> in 2PC decoding. We definitely don't want to change all the scan apis
> for this. I wonder if we could add some kind of property to Snapshot
> which would indicate this fact - logical decoding is using it's own
> snapshots it could inject the information about being inside the 2PC
> decoding.

Perhaps, but how do we know we've covered all the right places? We
don't know what every plugin will require, do we?

The plugin needs to take responsibility for its own correctness,
whether we make it easier or not.

It seems clear that we would need a generalized API (the proposed
locking approach) to cover all requirements.