Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Дата
Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9 December 2015 at 18:31, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:48:04PM +0530, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

>> > Thanks for the update.  This now conflicts with the updates doesn to
>> > fix pg_upgrade out-of-space issue on Windows. I've fixed (I think) the
>> > conflict in order to do some testing, but I'd like to get an updated
>> > patch from the author in case I did it wrong.  I don't want to find
>> > bugs that I just introduced myself.
>> >

>> Thank you for having a look.
>
> I would not bother mentioning this detail in the pg_upgrade manual page:
>
> +   Since the format of visibility map has been changed in version 9.6,
> +   <application>pg_upgrade</> creates and rewrite new <literal>'_vm'</literal>
> +   file even if upgrading from 9.5 or before to 9.6 or later with link mode (-k).

Really?  I know we don't always document things like this, but it
seems like a good idea to me that we do so.

Agreed.

For me, rewriting the visibility map is a new data loss bug waiting to happen. I am worried that the group is not taking seriously the potential for catastrophe here. I think we can do it, but I think it needs these things

* Clear notice that it is happening unconditionally and unavoidably
* Log files showing it has happened, action by action
* Very clear mechanism for resolving an incomplete or interrupted upgrade process. Which VMs got upgraded? Which didn't?
* Ability to undo an upgrade attempt, somehow, ideally automatically by default
* Ability to restart a failed upgrade attempt without doing a "double upgrade", i.e. ensure transformation is immutable