Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<CAB7nPqSggjPA8U1WV7ivW44xzboC8pci_Etmffr+ZEzxSX_ahA@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I guess that's an improvement for those cases, and there is no
>> immediate need for a per-keyword NOT operator in our cases to allow
>> things of the type (foo1 OR NOT foo2). Still, in the case of this
>> patch !foo1|foo2 actually means (NOT foo1 AND NOT foo2). It does not
>> seem that much intuitive. Reading straight this expression it seems
>> that !foo1|foo2 means actually (NOT foo1 OR foo2) because the lack of
>> parenthesis. Thoughts?
>
> I used just the same expression as Thomas in my patch since it
> was enough intuitive in this context in my view. The expression
> "(!FOO1)|FOO2" is a nonsence in the context of tab-completion and
> won't be used in future. But it is true that "!(FOO|BAR|BAZ)" is
> clearer than without the parenthesis.

Yeah that's my whole point. If we decide to support that I think that
we had better go all the way through it, with stuff like:
- & for AND operator
- Support of parenthesis to prioritize expressions
- ! for NOT operator
- | for OR OPERATOR
But honestly at this stage this would just benefit 5 places (citing
Thomas' quote), hence let's just go to the most simple approach which
is the one without all this fancy operator stuff... That will be less
bug prone, and still benefits more than 95% of the tab completion code
path. At least I think that's the most realistic thing to do if we
want to get something for this commit fest. If someone wants those
operators, well I guess that he could add them afterwards.. Thomas,
what do you think?

> Addition to that, I feel that successive "MatchAny"s are a bit
> bothersome.
>
>>  TailMatches6("COMMENT", "ON", MatchAny, MatchAny, MatchAny, MatchAny)) &&
>>              !TailMatches1("IS")
>
> Is MachAny<n> acceptable? On concern is the two n's
> (TailMatches<n> and MatchAny<n>) looks a bit confising.
>
>>  TailMatches4("COMMENT", "ON", MatchAny3, "!IS")

Ah, OK, so you would want to be able to have an inner list, MatchAnyN
meaning actually a list of MatchAny items repeated N times. I am not
sure if that's worth it.. I would just keep it simple, and we are just
discussing about a couple of places only that would benefit from that.
--
Michael

Сообщение: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Сообщение: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.