Re: Request for feature: VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum

От Nikolay Samokhvalov
Тема Re: Request for feature: VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum
Дата
Request for featu VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 13:39 Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Thu, 2024-05-09 at 09:58 -0400, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Because vacuum is vacuum.

The problem is that the two commands do something different, so it
would be misleading.  Renaming VACUUM (FULL) is a good idea in principle,
but I think that is more than 10 years too late.  The compatibility
break would be too painful.

Make VACUUM (FULL) a synonym for RECREATE TABLE, then say in the docs that VACUUM (FULL) is deprecated.

Then drop it in PG 27...

Perhaps you could write a patch to add a column "last_rewritten"
to "pg_stat_all_tables"...

I'm a worse C programmer than I am a DBA.

It's never late.

I like the idea of RECREATE TABLE  and deprecating VACUUM FULL a lot. It always seemed to me a non-user-friendly naming choice like pg_xlog or psql's \q, both of which are solved already.

With RECREATE TABLE, one day, we would be probably have RECREATE TABLE CONCURRENTLY implemented, making pg_repack less needed.