Re: Postgres, fsync, and OSs (specifically linux)

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Postgres, fsync, and OSs (specifically linux)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 30 April 2018 at 09:09, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Considering the variety in interpretation and liberties taken, I
> wonder if fsync() is underspecified and someone should file an issue
> over at http://www.opengroup.org/austin/ about that.

All it's going to achieve is adding an "is implementation-defined"
caveat, but that's at least a bit of a heads-up.

I filed patches for Linux man-pages ages ago. I'll update them and
post to LKML; apparently bugzilla has a lot of spam and many people
ignore notifications, so they might just bitrot forever otherwise.

Meanwhile, do we know if, on Linux 4.13+, if we get a buffered write
error due to dirty writeback before we close() a file we don't
fsync(), we'll get the error on close()?