Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12 October 2017 at 06:46, Peter Eisentraut

> I've been using
>
> --with-extra-version=+git`date +%Y%m%d`"~"`git rev-parse --short HEAD`
>
> for my local builds for some time, and I've not experienced any such
> problems.

Interesting.

I've seen issues with a number of tools. The one I can remember most
clearly is check_postgres.pl . Nobody's going to argue that this is
pretty code, but last time I tested (9.4-era, admittedly) it exploded
messily with extra-version.

> However, using the various numeric reporting options is clearly better
> if you want to do version comparisons.  The "extra version" stuff should
> be mainly for labeling.

The trouble there is that we lack numeric version in some (IMO
crucial) places where we only have the string version:

- In the startup packet. We send server_version, but not
server_version_num, as GUC_REPORT. So if a client wants
server_version_num it has to do another round trip to query for it.

- In pg_config, where we don't expose any --version-num only --version.