Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/11/17 04:19, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 11 October 2017 at 11:44, Jeremy Schneider <schneider@ardentperf.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> configure --with-extra-version=whateveryouwant
>>
>> I see that this build option has been around since 9.4; is anyone
>> using it to mark patched production builds?  EnterpriseDB or
>> 2ndQuadrant? How about the cloud providers?
>
> We started using it for BDR, but unfortunately too much software
> explodes spectacularly when you use it, due to simplistic/buggy
> version parsing.

I've been using

--with-extra-version=+git`date +%Y%m%d`"~"`git rev-parse --short HEAD`

for my local builds for some time, and I've not experienced any such
problems.

However, using the various numeric reporting options is clearly better
if you want to do version comparisons.  The "extra version" stuff should
be mainly for labeling.