Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] show precise repos version for dev builds?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 12 October 2017 at 06:46, Peter Eisentraut
>> I've been using
>> --with-extra-version=+git`date +%Y%m%d`"~"`git rev-parse --short HEAD`
>> for my local builds for some time, and I've not experienced any such
>> problems.

> I've seen issues with a number of tools. The one I can remember most
> clearly is check_postgres.pl . Nobody's going to argue that this is
> pretty code, but last time I tested (9.4-era, admittedly) it exploded
> messily with extra-version.

FWIW, Salesforce tried to do something similar to Peter's example
while I was there.  It did not work as well as we'd hoped :-( because
what got baked into the built executables was the latest git commit hash
as of the time you'd last run configure, not what was current as of the
latest "make".  Not to mention that you might have built from an
uncommitted state.  We tried to find a fix for the former problem that
didn't create lots of overhead, without much success.  No idea what
to do about the latter.

These are not big problems for package-building since you basically
never distribute executables that don't get built from a clean state.
But they put a crimp in the usefulness of the idea for developers.