Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> So, as one of several people who put literally hundreds of hours into
> the original benchmarking which established the sizing recommendations
> for shared_buffers (and other settings), I find the phrase "folk wisdom"
> personally offensive.  So, can we stop with this?

I have also put a lot of time into benchmarking. No personal offence
was intended, and I'm glad that we have some advice to give to users,
but the fact of the matter is that current *official* recommendations
are very vague.

--
Peter Geoghegan