Re: How can we make beta testing better?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: How can we make beta testing better?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>  There was no reply, which I took as "this isn't a
> new feature and isn't user visible anyway, so what would be the point?"

To be fair the list was pretty long already. And like regression
testing, coming up with a list of things to test is kind of beside the
point. If we knew which things had to be tested then we would have
tested them already. The point of beta testing is to have people run
their applications on it in case their applications are doing stuff we
*didn't* anticipate needing to test.

I think the take-away here is that testing for long periods of time
under load and while using the full suite of complex configurations
simultaneously that they use in production (such as hot standby
replicas to spread load) is what's important.

--
greg