Re: BUG #16997: parameter server_encoding's category problem

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: BUG #16997: parameter server_encoding's category problem
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 3:11 PM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Bug reference:      16997
> Logged by:          yanliang lei
> Email address:      leiyanliang@highgo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 13.1
> Operating system:   CentOS7.6
>
> In the following sql statement, parameter server_encoding's category is
> “Client Connection Defaults / Locale and Formatting”:
>
> postgres=# select category from pg_settings where name='server_encoding';
> -[ RECORD 1 ]------------------------------------------------
> category | Client Connection Defaults / Locale and Formatting
>
> postgres=#
>
> In the document
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-FORMAT,
> there is no entry about parameter server_encoding.
>
> and in the document
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-preset.html,there is
> a entry about parameter server_encoding.
>
> so, What is the parameter server_encoding's category?

Thanks for reporting. All the internal parameters that can't be set by
the users are under the "Preset Options" category. Likewise,
server_encoding, lc_collate and lc_ctype should also be listed under
the "Preset Options" category, even though there is a "Client
Connection Defaults / Locale and Formatting" category, which has user
configurable parameters. For instance, since the in_hot_standby is an
internal parameter, it is specified under the "Preset Options" even
though there is a "Replication / Standby Servers" category which
mentions all the user configurable parameters.

Therefore, I would say that the documentation is correct but the code
is not. Attached patch should fix this.

While on this, I also adjusted some of the wordings for the other
"Preset Options".

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Вложения