Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
A couple of thoughts here.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Folks,

If you'd somehow missed it, we are going from three-part to two-part
version numbers.  That is, the next release is 9.6.0, but the major
release after that is 10.0.  10.1 will be the first patch release on
version 10.

This change doesn't come out of the blue.  There have been a few previous 9.x versions that folks have been arguing should be 10.0  So for anyone paying attention, this is not a shock.  So my initial question is, how widespread of a problem is this going to be?

This means that we have a year to make sure that every driver author and
every body who has some hackish script parsing the version number scheme
finds out about it -- before 10.0 is released.

I think there are three cases here

1.  People paying attention are going to at least know about it and have to check.
2.  People supporting lots of databases probably don't care about the PostgreSQL version anyway (because they are tied to lowest common denominator).  If you are supporting MySQL, then there is no reason you cannot support PostgreSQL 8.2, 9.0, and 9.4.
3.  Intermittently or unsupported packages.    This is where the possible problem is.

To be honest, my vote would be "don't worry about it."  I really can't see the version number change that results in "your version is too old" coming from a client program as reflecting badly on us.

All we need to do is talk about how great PostgreSQL 10.0 will be.  And anyone who didn't fix it is not supporting their software pre-emptively.

Ideas?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)