Re: Speeding up INSERTs and UPDATEs to partitioned tables

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Speeding up INSERTs and UPDATEs to partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks for picking this up.

On 15 November 2018 at 07:10, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> What's with this comment?
>
>          * Initially we must only set up 1 PartitionDispatch object; the one for
>          * the partitioned table that's the target of the command.  If we must
>          * route a tuple via some sub-partitioned table, then its
>          * PartitionDispatch is only built the first time it's required.
>
> You're setting the allocsize to PARTITION_ROUTING_INITSIZE, which is at
> odds with the '1' mentioned in the comment.  Which is wrong?

I don't think either is wrong, but I guess something must be
misleading, so could perhaps be improved.

We're simply allocating enough space for PARTITION_ROUTING_INITSIZE
but we're only initialising 1 item. That leaves space for
PARTITION_ROUTING_INITSIZE - 1 more items before we'd need to
reallocate the array.