Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 11:43 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 2:38 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's more like a lot number or surveying tract than an postal address.  Useful for a single party, the builder or the government, but not something you give out to other people so they can find you.
>
> Whether or not we copy over oids should be done based upon our internal needs, not end users.  Which is why the fee that do get copied exists, because we store them in internal files that we want to copy as part of the upgrade.  It also isn't like pg_dump/restore is going to retain them and the less divergence between that and pg_upgrade arguably the better.

We build the product for the end users. Their desires and needs are
relevant. And if they're telling us we did it wrong, we need to listen
to that. We don't have to do everything that everybody wants, but
treating developer needs as strictly more important than end-user
needs is self-defeating.

Every catalog has both a natural and a surrogate key.  Developers get to use the surrogate key while end-users get to use the natural one (i.e., the one they provided).  I see no reason to change that specification.  And I do believe there are no compelling reasons for an end-user to need to use the surrogate key instead of the natural one.  The example provided by the OP isn't one, IMO, the overall goal can be accomplished via the natural key (if it cannot, maybe we need to make retrieving the natural key for a pg_proc record given an OID easier).  The fact that OIDs are not even accessible via SQL further reinforces this belief.  The only reason to need OIDs as a DBA is to perform joins among the catalogs and all such joins are local to the database and even session executing them - the specific values are immaterial.

The behavior of pg_upgrade only preserving OIDs that are necessary due to the physical copying of data files from the old server to the new one seems sufficient both in terms of effort and the principle of doing the minimum amount to solve the problem at hand.

David J.