Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 2:38 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's more like a lot number or surveying tract than an postal address.  Useful for a single party, the builder or the
government,but not something you give out to other people so they can find you.

> Whether or not we copy over oids should be done based upon our internal needs, not end users.  Which is why the fee
thatdo get copied exists, because we store them in internal files that we want to copy as part of the upgrade.  It also
isn'tlike pg_dump/restore is going to retain them and the less divergence between that and pg_upgrade arguably the
better.

We build the product for the end users. Their desires and needs are
relevant. And if they're telling us we did it wrong, we need to listen
to that. We don't have to do everything that everybody wants, but
treating developer needs as strictly more important than end-user
needs is self-defeating.

I agree that there's a trade-off here. Preserving more OIDs requires
more code and makes pg_dump and other things more complicated, which
is not great. But, at least to me, arguing that there are no downsides
of not preserving these OIDs is simply not a believable argument.

Well, maybe somebody believes it. But I don't.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade
От: Bohdan Mart
Сообщение: Re: Where can I find the doxyfile?