Re: Support retrieving value from any sequence

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Support retrieving value from any sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
On 14 July 2015 at 16:02, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
The use-case I have in mind is for finding out how close to the 32-bit integer limit sequences have reached.  At the moment, this isn't possible without creating a custom function to go fetch the last_value from the specified sequence.

​Why wouldn't you just query the catalog?​  I was under the impression last said values were extra-transactional so that table should reflect the global state.

What am I missing here?

Where in the catalog do you mean?

​In attempting to answer your question I now better understand your original proposal.  Indeed the only way to get the sequence information is to query it like a table.

This prompts the question: why a function and not (or in addition to) to a view?​

​David J.​