Re: 9.4 release notes

От David Johnston
Тема Re: 9.4 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 06:08:47PM -0700, David G Johnston wrote:
> Some errors and suggestions - my apologizes for the format as I do not have
> a proper patching routine setup.

Sorry, let me address some items I skipped on your list:

> IIUC: Logical decoding allows for streaming of statement-scoped database
> changes.

I think Logical decoding does more than statement-scoped database
changes, e.g. it can enable multi-master without triggers.  I am
hesitant to mention specific items in the release notes for that reason.

​Yeah, probably need to look at this as a bigger unit of work and better understand it first.  But
"​to be optionally streamed in a configurable format" seems too vague.

> IIUC: Remove line length restrictions from pgbench.

Uh, there is a specific place we removed the ne length restriction in
pg_bench.

​​I simply interpreted:

Allow pgbench to process script files of any line length (Sawada Masahiko)

The previous line limit was BUFSIZ.
"script files of any line length" just doesn't sound right to me; and if my re-wording is wrong then it also does not actually communicate what was changed very well.

> style: add comma -> Previously[,] empty arrays were returned (occurs
> frequently but is minor)

Thanks for the comma adjustments --- I can't decide on that sometimes.

​Not a grammar expert by any means but there are generally two uses of "previously".

He previously removed that from the build.
Previously, he removed that from the build.

In the first case previously simply modifies removed while in the second case previously modifies the entire fragment and thus acts as a transition word.  In the second case you want the comma in the first you do not.  In most cases a leading previously will be of the second form and so wants the comma.

As an aside the original wording of the above example would imply that a non-empty array was returned since a "previously empty array" is one that now has content.​

FYI, the most frequently updated doc build is here:

        http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-4.html

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com