Re: Broken after upgrade

От arnaud gaboury
Тема Re: Broken after upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM, arnaud gaboury
<arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:00 AM, José María Terry Jiménez
> <jtj@tssystems.net> wrote:
>> El 7/7/16 a las 0:14, Devrim Gündüz escribió:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Fedora packages have an executable (not sure about its name, but check a
>>> package called postgresql-upgrade or so). That will help you to finish the
>>> upgrade process.
>>>
>>> Regards, Devrim
>>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Yes, the package is called postgresql-upgrade, and you can read detailed
>> instructions in /usr/share/doc/postgresql
>>
>> In Fedora 22 (the machine i can check now) the document is called
>> README.rpm-dist in that directory
>>
>> Hope helps you
>
> I effectively found the postgresql-update tool. But when running it, I
> get an error:
>
> # postgresql-setup --upgrade
>
>  * Upgrading database.
> ERROR: pg_upgrade tool failed
> ERROR: Upgrade failed.
>  * See /var/lib/pgsql/upgrade_postgresql.log for details.
>

> #  cat /var/lib/pgsql/upgrade_postgresql.log
> connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such
> file or directory
>     Is the server running locally and accepting
>     connections on Unix domain socket "/home/postgres/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>

> could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
> "/usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l
> "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/db/pgsql/data-old" -o "-p 5432 -b  -c
> listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
> unix_socket_directories='/home/postgres'" start
> Failure, exiting
>
> My data dir is in fact /db/pgsql/data. I do not know why it is looking
> for data-old.
> I will investigate this way.

It took me some time to figure out the correct way for Fedora to
upgrade pgsql. Here is the command I am supposed to run as postgres
user, with postgresql.service stopped:

$ pg_upgrade -b /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/ -B /usr/bin -d
/db/pgsql/data.old -D /db/pgsql/data

with data a new DB initialized with postgresql 9.5, data.old my
original DB, postgresql-9.4/bin old cluster executable.
NOTE: I didn't put my original config files pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf
and postgresql.conf in the new data directory. I left everything
untouched after the init command. Is it correct ?

The above command returns an error:
*failure*
Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" for
the probable cause of the failure.

connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such
file or directory
    connections on Unix domain socket "/db/pgsql/.s.PGSQL.50432"?

could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
"/usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l
"pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/db/pgsql/data.old" -o "-p 50432 -b  -c
listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
unix_socket_directories='/db/pgsql'" start
Failure, exiting

My postgresql service is in fact started with its socket in
/run/postgresql directory, as indicated in my postgresql.conf. Now,
when running pg_upgrade, where is the socket ? I guess it shall be in
<< unix_socket_directories='/db/pgsql' >> as indicated in the log file
above? But it isn't apparently as postgresql can find the socket. How
can I change this behavior? How can I tell pg_upgrade to place the
socket in /db/pgsql ?

Thank you for help. This issue is getting me crazy and my mail server is broken.

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx