Re: Broken after upgrade

От arnaud gaboury
Тема Re: Broken after upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 11:54 AM, arnaud gaboury
<arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> README.rpm-dist in that directory
>>>
>>> Hope helps you
>>
>> I effectively found the postgresql-update tool. But when running it, I
>> get an error:
>>
>> # postgresql-setup --upgrade
>>
>>  * Upgrading database.
>> ERROR: pg_upgrade tool failed
>> ERROR: Upgrade failed.
>>  * See /var/lib/pgsql/upgrade_postgresql.log for details.
>>

>> #  cat /var/lib/pgsql/upgrade_postgresql.log
>> connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such
>> file or directory
>>     Is the server running locally and accepting
>>     connections on Unix domain socket "/home/postgres/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>>

>> could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
>> "/usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l
>> "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/db/pgsql/data-old" -o "-p 5432 -b  -c
>> listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
>> unix_socket_directories='/home/postgres'" start
>> Failure, exiting
>>
>> My data dir is in fact /db/pgsql/data. I do not know why it is looking
>> for data-old.
>> I will investigate this way.
>>

> It took me some time to figure out the correct way for Fedora to
> upgrade pgsql. Here is the command I am supposed to run as postgres
> user, with postgresql.service stopped:
>

> $ pg_upgrade -b /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/ -B /usr/bin -d
> /db/pgsql/data.old -D /db/pgsql/data
>
> with data a new DB initialized with postgresql 9.5, data.old my
> original DB, postgresql-9.4/bin old cluster executable.
> NOTE: I didn't put my original config files pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf
> and postgresql.conf in the new data directory. I left everything
> untouched after the init command. Is it correct ?
>
> The above command returns an error:
> *failure*
> Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_server.log" for
> the probable cause of the failure.
>
> connection to database failed: could not connect to server: No such
> file or directory
>     Is the server running locally and accepting
>     connections on Unix domain socket "/db/pgsql/.s.PGSQL.50432"?
>

> could not connect to old postmaster started with the command:
> "/usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/pg_ctl" -w -l
> "pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/db/pgsql/data.old" -o "-p 50432 -b  -c
> listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
> unix_socket_directories='/db/pgsql'" start
> Failure, exiting
>
> My postgresql service is in fact started with its socket in
> /run/postgresql directory, as indicated in my postgresql.conf. Now,
> when running pg_upgrade, where is the socket ? I guess it shall be in
> << unix_socket_directories='/db/pgsql' >> as indicated in the log file
> above? But it isn't apparently as postgresql can find the socket. How
> can I change this behavior? How can I tell pg_upgrade to place the
> socket in /db/pgsql ?
>
> Thank you for help. This issue is getting me crazy and my mail server is broken.

UPDATE

Running the following command (it indicates where to find the socket):

$  /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4/bin/pg_ctl -w -l
"pg_upgrade_server.log" -D "/db/pgsql/data.old" -o "-p 50432 -b  -c
listen_addresses='' -c unix_socket_permissions=0700 -c
unix_socket_directories='/run/postgresql'" start >>
"pg_upgrade_server.log"

leave me this time with another error, in fact the original one:

% cat pg_upgrade_server.log
waiting for server to start....FATAL:  22023: database files are
incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.5,
which is not compatible with this version 9.4.8.
LOCATION:  ValidatePgVersion, miscinit.c:1216
 stopped waiting

So aside this socket issue, it seems I am back again to the
initialization issue. Is there something wrong in the command I use ?

--

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx