Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4 September 2017 at 06:34, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi Amit,

>>> ISTM, the primary motivation for the EIBO patch at this point is to get
>>> the partitions ordered in a predictable manner so that the partition-wise
>>> join patch and update partition key patches could implement certain logic
>>> using O (n) algorithm rather than an O (n^2) one.  Neither of them depend
>>> on the actual order in the sense of, say, sticking a PathKey to the
>>> resulting Append.
>>
>> Now that the inheritance hierarchy is expanded in depth-first order,
>> RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo() needs to be changed to arrange the
>> PartitionDispatch array and the leaf partitions in depth-first order
>> (as we know this is a requirement for the update-partition-key patch
>> for efficiently determining which of the leaf partitions are already
>> present in the update result rels).
>
> I was thinking the same.
>
>> Amit, I am not sure if you are
>> already doing this as part of the patches in this mail thread. Please
>> let me know.
>
> Actually, I had thought of changing the expansion order in
> RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo to depth-first after Robert committed his
> patch the other day, but haven't got around to doing that yet.  Will do
> that in the updated patch (the refactoring patch) I will post sometime
> later today or tomorrow on a differently titled thread, because the EIBO
> work seems to be done.

Great, thanks. Just wanted to make sure someone is working on that,
because, as you said, it is no longer an EIBO patch. Since you are
doing that, I won't work on that.

>> Also, let me know if you think there will be any loss of
>> efficiency in tuple routing code if we arrange the Partition Dispatch
>> indexes in depth-first order.
>
> I don't think there will be any loss in the efficiency of the tuple
> routing code itself.  It's just that the position of the ResultRelInfos
> (of leaf partitions) and PartitionDispatch objects (of partitioned tables)
> will be different in their respective arrays, that is, pd->indexes will
> now have different values than formerly.

Ok. Good to hear that.

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar