Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/09/05 13:20, Amit Langote wrote:
> The later phase can
> build that list from the AppendRelInfos that you mention we now [1] build.
>
> [1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=30833ba154

Looking at that commit again, AppendRelInfos are still not created for
partitioned child tables.  Looking at the code in
expand_single_inheritance_child(), which exists as of 30833ba154:

   /*    * Build an AppendRelInfo for this parent and child, unless the child is a    * partitioned table.    */   if
(childrte->relkind!= RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE && !childrte->inh)   {        ...code that builds AppendRelInfo...   }
else      *partitioned_child_rels = lappend_int(*partitioned_child_rels,
childRTindex);

you can see that an AppendRelInfo won't get built for partitioned child
tables.

Also, even if the commit changed things so that the child RT entries (and
AppendRelInfos) now get built in an order determined by depth-first
traversal of the partition tree, the same original parent RT index is used
to mark all AppendRelInfos, so the expansion essentially flattens the
hierarchy.  In the updated patch I will post on the "path toward faster
partition pruning" thread [1], I am planning to rejigger things so that
two things start to happen:

1. For partitioned child tables, build the child RT entry with inh = true  and also build an AppendRelInfos

2. When recursively expanding a partitioned child table in  expand_partitioned_rtentry(), pass its new RT index as the
parentRTindexto the recursive call of expand_partitioned_rtentry(), so  that the resulting AppendRelInfos reflect
immediateparent-child  relationship

With 1 in place, build_simple_rel() will build RelOptInfos even for
partitioned child tables, so that for each one, we can recursively build
an Append path.  So, instead of just one Append path for the root
partitioned table, there is one for each partitioned table in the tree.

I will be including the above described change in the partition-pruning
patch, because the other code in that patch relies on the same and I know
Ashuotsh has wanted that for a long time. :)

Thanks,
Amit

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/044e2e09-9690-7aff-1749-2d318da38a11%40lab.ntt.co.jp