Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM,  <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> People,
>
> We just got a post to pgsql-announce like this:
>
>> [SnakeOil] is planning to add support of PostgreSQL to the [SnakeOil] Engine
>> product, and could use the help and expertise of people within the Postgres
>> community to ensure that we are building a product that works well for
>> Postgres environments.

If I was responding to SnakeOil CEO, here's what I would say:

ISTM the right place for this is postgresql.org "latest news" section. this gets you on the .rss feed and seems to have
along established

history for 3rd party tie-ins.  -announce is for internal project
announcements.  Blogging about how your project ties in to postgres is
also perfectly ok and if you're judicious about which posts get tagged
to postgres you can get exposure on planet as well (and this is very
advisable IMNSHO for building mind-space).  Postgres blog posts tend
to be very high quality and thus attract the right kind of people.

The mailing lists (even though you can get away with -general) are a
poor place to advertise postgresql-based commercial projects,
particularly if your software leans in the integration side of things
vs libraries and developer support.  Also points get docked if your
solution is not open source and/or is too 'salesy'. It just turns
people off.  Personally, if I were inclined to do it, I would write a
detailed blog post about how my $solution benefits postgres developers
and post a terse well-subjected email on -general that points to the
blog post.  This will annoy people a lot less since it moves the off
topic discussion onto the blog where it belongs.

merlin

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: [hypothetical product] support of PostgreSQL