Re: [ADMIN] Repeating autovacuum

От Keith
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Repeating autovacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Ertan Küçükoğlu <ertan.kucukoglu@1nar.com.tr> wrote:

On 8 Apr 2017, at 01:53, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Ertan Küçükoğlu <ertan.kucukoglu@1nar.com.tr> wrote:
No autovacuum parameters are changed or used. They are all remarked as in
default config file.

I wonder if that is a normal behavior as system is idle.

​See "autovacuum_naptime (integer)"

Its "auto" vacuum which means it runs (nearly) continuously looking for things to do.

I suppose that in theory it could operate in a kind of "wait/notify" mode where every DDL against the database wakes the daemon otherwise it stays asleep.  I recall some work being done a number of years back on making the system more energy efficient during no-activity periods - but there are trade-offs to consider here for which I am not up-to-speed on the specifics.

It would be interesting to see the timestamps on those log entries...

David J.

I don't see any timestamp in the log. I myself wanted that, too. Do I need to turn some switch on?

Ertan Küçükoğlu

Look at log_line_prefix for postgresql.conf. There's a whole set of macros you can use to add logging information, including timestamps.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-logging.html#GUC-LOG-LINE-PREFIX

Keith