Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql

От Chuck Davis
Тема Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql
Дата
Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql  (Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr>)
Список pgsql-general
Browsers are fine for displaying informaiton that is already in a database.  They are the ultimate crap for entering data that has to be typed into a "form" and processed for persistence.  It will be a long time before I ask my users to enter data into a browser.

Just for an example:  If you have 500 clients placing one order a browser is an "ok" tool -- probably the tool of choice.  If you have one accounts payable clerk entering 500 orders a browser is a very mean thing to do the your employee unless the entry is simply making selections from a drop down populated from the database; that scenario is not too real-worldish for AP.

And with today's auto-updating of application platforms it pretty well eliminates any advantages the browser provides for internal applications.   Applications developed on the current application platforms are not only more efficient for data entry, they're just as easily kept up to date once installed.  And installation is nearly automatic with the current platforms like Netbeans Platform and Eclipse Platform (for Java).  I'm sure other languages have similar.

Ultimately, it's a matter of choosing the right tool for the task.  Unfortunately, too often these days there is a somewhat ignorant perception that a browser is always the right tool.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
Le samedi 12 octobre 2013 à 15:39 +0200, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :

> "Web mailers" are a particularly illustrative example why "web apps" are
> ridiculous garbage. Just like "web forums" or "Google Apps".
>
> If I had to use those, I would cease to use computers at all.

Sure, they suck, but I doubt you'll revert to cave dwelling if you ever
have to send an email from some remote location where you have no email
relay?

> > The vast majority of enterprise SaaS apps are web deployed and so so
> > are intranet applications.
>
> And they are totally unusable crap.
>
> > It's just the way things are and if you know your technologies you
> > can settle on a stack that approaches the RAD platforms of old in
> > terms of programming efficiency.
>
> Certainly not. Not to mention the issue of end-user productivity. Not
> to mention the deployment mess, both server- *and* client-side, with
> "web apps". Etc. and so on...

Crappy applications have been written long before the web was born, the
technology used makes no difference whatsoever.

I find that html is extremely well suited to the display of tabular
data, so I'm curious to know what kind of client-side problems you
experience with standard-compliant web forms?

--
Salutations, Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/site/demonstration