Re: [ADMIN] Running Windows binaries from non-English folder

От Yuri Martsinovsky
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Running Windows binaries from non-English folder
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you, George!
This should work. You are right, short names are ascii only
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:10 George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 19:30:46 +0000, Yuri Martsinovsky
<captainsilver@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I run
> "C:\????????\pg_ctl.exe"
> I get this error:
> invalid binary: "C:\????????\pg_ctl.exe"
>
> The same happens when running initdb.exe
> Looks like the utility just cannot access its own file because of the
> russian characters.

Try running it using 8.3 path names.  Every file and folder in NTFS has
2 names - one "natural" and a secondary "short" DOS 8.3 name+ext format
name.  You can see short names using DIR /X in a console. The short
names should be ASCII (subset) only.

E.g., on my system pg_ctl is in C:\program files\postgresql\9.6\bin.
   It's short name is  C:\PROGRA~1\POSTGR~1\9.6\bin\pg_ctl.exe

These short names don't permit spaces or non-printing characters, so
they can work in situations where the natural name may not.

George