Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

От Claudio Freire
Тема Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Дата
Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>> Can we avoid the Linux kernel problem by simply increasing our shared
>>> buffer size, say up to 80% of memory?
>> It will be swap more easier.
>
> Is that the case? If the system has not enough memory, the kernel
> buffer will be used for other purpose, and the kernel cache will not
> work very well anyway. In my understanding, the problem is, even if
> there's enough memory, the kernel's cache does not work as expected.

Problem is, Postgres relies on a working kernel cache for checkpoints.
Checkpoint logic would have to be heavily reworked to account for an
impaired kernel cache.

Really, there's no difference between fixing the I/O problems in the
kernel(s) vs in postgres. The only difference is, in the kernel(s),
everyone profits, and you've got a huge head start.

Communicating more with the kernel (through posix_fadvise, fallocate,
aio, iovec, etc...) would probably be good, but it does expose more
kernel issues. posix_fadvise, for instance, is a double-edged sword
ATM. I do believe, however, that exposing those issues and prompting a
fix is far preferable than silently working around them.