Re: Flushing large data immediately in pqcomm

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: Flushing large data immediately in pqcomm
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 at 03:34, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone else want to try the attached script on the v5 patch to
> see if their numbers are better?

On my machine (i9-10900X, in Ubuntu 22.04 on WSL on Windows) v5
consistently beats master by ~0.25 seconds:

master:
Run 100 100 5000000: 1.948975205
Run 1024 10240 200000: 3.039986587
Run 1024 1048576 2000: 2.444176276
Run 1048576 1048576 1000: 2.475328596

v5:
Run 100 100 5000000: 1.997170909
Run 1024 10240 200000: 3.057802598
Run 1024 1048576 2000: 2.199449857
Run 1048576 1048576 1000: 2.210328762

The first two runs are pretty much equal, and I ran your script a few
more times and this seems like just random variance (sometimes v5 wins
those, sometimes master does always quite close to each other). But
the last two runs v5 consistently wins.

Weird that on your machines you don't see a difference. Are you sure
you didn't make a silly mistake, like not restarting postgres or
something?