Re: Tuning Linux for Postgresql - Database failed to start

От Albin Ary
Тема Re: Tuning Linux for Postgresql - Database failed to start
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ok, will do that. Thanks a lot.

It is clear now why it fails to start.

Actually, the blog author mentions that setting it high might cause the database failing to start, anyway a calculation is provided and I followed that calculation.

The ideal number of huge pages is just a bit higher than this -- just a bit. If you increase this value too much, processes that need small pages that also need space in the OS will fail to start. This may even end up with the operating system failing to boot or other PostgreSQL instances on the same server failing to start.

On Tue, 10 May 2022 at 22:48, Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu> wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 10:39:09PM +0200, Albin Ary wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks a lot for your inputs.
>
> I only changed the section related to HugePages.
>
> This server has 4 GB RAM.
>
> shared_buffers = '1GB'
> vm.nr_hugepages=650
>
> tuned profile:

Hi Albin,

1GB shared_buffers + 1.3GB huge pages on a 4GB system = don't have
enough resources. Please remove the huge pages request or add additional
memory to your system.

Regards,
Ken