[Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits

От Andrew Atkinson
Тема [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits
Дата
Re: [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello. I started reading through the Glossary[^1] terms to learn from the definitions, and to double check them against what I'd written elsewhere. I found myself making edits. :)

I've put the edits together into a patch. My goal was to focus on wording simplifications that are smoother to read, without big changes.

I realized I should check with others though, so this is a mid-point check-in. For now I went through terms from "A" through "I".

Here's a recap of the changes:

  • Changed places like “to make” to use the verb directly, i.e. “make”
  • When describing options for a command, changed to “option of” instead of “option to”
  • “system- or user-supplied”, removed the dash after system. Or I’d suggest system-supplied or user-supplied, to hyphenate both.
  • Changed “will access”  to “access”
  • Changed “helps to prevent” to “helps prevent”
  • Changed “volume of records has been written” to “volume of records were written”
  • “It is required that this user exist” changed to “This user is required to exist...” (I’d also suggest “This user must exist before”) as a simplification, but that’s a bigger difference from what’s there now.
  • Changed “operating-system” to remove the hyphen, which is how it’s written elsewhere in the Glossary.
  • Many examples of “an SQL”. I changed those to “a SQL...”. For example I changed “An SQL command which” to “A SQL command that”. I'm not an English major so maybe I'm missing something here.
  • I often thought “that” was easier to read than “which”, and there are several examples in the patch. For example “Space in data pages that…” replaced “Space in data pages which…”
  • Simplifications like: “There also exist two secondary forks” to “There are two secondary forks”

I was able to build the documentation locally and preview the HTML version.

If these types of changes are helpful, and can continue a consistent style through all the terms and provide a new (larger) v2 patch.

Thanks for taking a look.

Andrew Atkinson

Вложения