Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:35 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> The small size of the SLRU buffer pools can sometimes become a
> performance problem because it’s not difficult to have a workload
> where the number of buffers actively in use is larger than the
> fixed-size buffer pool. However, just increasing the size of the
> buffer pool doesn’t necessarily help, because the linear search that
> we use for buffer replacement doesn’t scale, and also because
> contention on the single centralized lock limits scalability.
>
> There is a couple of patches proposed in the past to address the
> problem of increasing the buffer pool size, one of the patch [1] was
> proposed by Thomas Munro where we make the size of the buffer pool
> configurable.  And, in order to deal with the linear search in the
> large buffer pool,  we divide the SLRU buffer pool into associative
> banks so that searching in the buffer pool doesn’t get affected by the
> large size of the buffer pool.  This does well for the workloads which
> are mainly impacted by the frequent buffer replacement but this still
> doesn’t stand well with the workloads where the centralized control
> lock is the bottleneck.
>
> So I have taken this patch as my base patch (v1-0001) and further
> added 2 more improvements to this 1) In v1-0002, Instead of a
> centralized control lock for the SLRU I have introduced a bank-wise
> control lock 2)In v1-0003, I have removed the global LRU counter and
> introduced a bank-wise counter.  The second change (v1-0003) is in
> order to avoid the CPU/OS cache invalidation due to frequent updates
> of the single variable, later in my performance test I will show how
> much gain we have gotten because of these 2 changes.
>
> Note: This is going to be a long email but I have summarised the main
> idea above this point and now I am going to discuss more internal
> information in order to show that the design idea is valid and also
> going to show 2 performance tests where one is specific to the
> contention on the centralized lock and other is mainly contention due
> to frequent buffer replacement in SLRU buffer pool. We are getting ~2x
> TPS compared to the head by these patches and in later sections, I am
> going discuss this in more detail i.e. exact performance numbers and
> analysis of why we are seeing the gain.

> Performance Test:
> Exp1: Show problems due to CPU/OS cache invalidation due to frequent
> updates of the centralized lock and a common LRU counter.  So here we
> are running a parallel transaction to pgbench script which frequently
> creates subtransaction overflow and that forces the visibility-check
> mechanism to access the subtrans SLRU.
> Test machine: 8 CPU/ 64 core/ 128 with HT/ 512 MB RAM / SSD
> scale factor: 300
> shared_buffers=20GB
> checkpoint_timeout=40min
> max_wal_size=20GB
> max_connections=200
>
> Workload: Run these 2 scripts parallelly:
> ./pgbench -c $ -j $ -T 600 -P5 -M prepared postgres
> [...]

This and other results shared by you look promising. Will there be any
improvement in workloads related to clog buffer usage? BTW, I remember
that there was also a discussion of moving SLRU into a regular buffer
pool [1]. You have not provided any explanation as to whether that
approach will have any merits after we do this or whether that
approach is not worth pursuing at all.

[1] - https://commitfest.postgresql.org/43/3514/

--
With Regards,