Re: [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits

От Erik Wienhold
Тема Re: [Doc] Glossary Term Definitions Edits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-10-14 06:16 +0200, Andrew Atkinson write:
>    - When describing options for a command, changed to “option of” instead
>    of “option to”

I think "option to" is not wrong (maybe less common).  I've seen this
in other texts and took it as "the X option [that applies] to Y".

>    - “system- or user-supplied”, removed the dash after system. Or I’d
>    suggest system-supplied or user-supplied, to hyphenate both.

That's a suspended hyphen and is common usage.

>    - Changed “volume of records has been written” to “volume of records
>    were written”

"Has been" means that something happened just now.  This is perfectly
fine when talking about checkpoints IMO.

>    - Many examples of “an SQL”. I changed those to “a SQL...”. For example
>    I changed “An SQL command which” to “A SQL command that”. I'm not an
>    English major so maybe I'm missing something here.

Depends on how you pronounce SQL (ess-cue-el or sequel).  "An SQL"
is more common in the docs whereas "a SQL" is more common in code
comments.

--
Erik