Re: Decreasing the data loss after failover

От Craig James
Тема Re: Decreasing the data loss after failover
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM, sinasaharkhiz <sinas1991@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah I just set the archive_timeout to 5 minutes. But I thought that would
make postgresql to generate more wal files than before. Because the wal
files would be switched before getting completely full. So that would make
more 16MB wal files with less than 16MB data, and that will increase the
size of my backup.
But after I changed archive_timeout and restarted the barman backup, it has
not increased. So I wonder if I'm thinking wrong about it or I have done
something wrong. Do you have any idea about this?

If the files are compressed, you will have more files, but the total size will be almost the same. Gzip compression reduces large sections of identical bytes to almost nothing.

For example, I just compressed a 750 MB file of zeros to 750 KB -- a 1000:1 compression ratio.

Craig

Craig A. James
Chief Technology Officer
eMolecules, Inc.