Re: Questions about support function and abbreviate

От Giuseppe Broccolo
Тема Re: Questions about support function and abbreviate
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Han,

Darafei already provided a good answer to your question, I will add just a few things with the hope of making things more clear for your use case.

SortSupport implementation in PostgreSQL allows to make comparisons at binary level in a dedicated region of memory where data can be quickly accessed through
references to actual data in the heap called "sort tuples".  Those references have a space to include the data of a length of a native pointer of a system, which is 8 bytes
for 64 bit systems. Although that represents enough space for standard data types like integers or floats, it's not enough for longer data types, or varlena data like
geometries.

In this last case, we need to pass to sort tuples an abbreviated version of the key which should include the most representative part. This is the scope of the abbreviated
attributes which need to be provided to create the abbreviated keys.

To answer more specifically to your question, the four abbreviated attributes represent

* comparator                          -->  the access method which should be used of comparison of abbreviated keys
* abbrev_converter       -->  the method which creates the abbreviations (NOTE in src/backend/access/gist/gistproc.c it just consider the first 32 bits of the hash of a geometry)
* abbrev_abort           -->  the method which should check if the abbreviation has to be done or not even in cases the length is greater than the size of the native pointer (NOTE,
                                                       it is not implemented in src/backend/access/gist/gistproc.c, which means that abbreviation is always worth)
* abbrev_full_comparator -->  the method which should be used for comparisons in case of fall back into not abbreviated keys (NOTE, this attribute coincides to the comparator one
                                                       in case the abbreviate flag is set to false)

Hope it helps,
Giuseppe.