Re: New versioning scheme

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: New versioning scheme
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

On 13/05/16 02:53, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

Magnus Hagander reminded us:

And we already have a version numbering scheme that confuses people :)
Exactly.  I think it is time for us to realize that our beloved "major.minor"
versioning is a failure, both at a marketing and a technical level. It's a
lofty idea, but causes way more harm than good in real life. People on
pgsql-hackers know that 9.1 and 9.5 are wildly different beasts. Clients?
They are running "Postgres 9". So I'm all in favor of doing away with
major and minor.

[...]

Please don't go that way, the inflation of numbers like Firefox has, the numbers then have even less meaning.

Stop dumbing things down!!!  Help educate people, rather than become yet another Mushroom Farmer...

Better would be a prominent notice of what the versioning scheme is all about, and link to http://semver.org.

Have same feeling. I didn't meet any customer who didn't understand to our versioning model.

I am thinking, 9.6 can be 10.0 - a) there is really big technical progress, b) the usage will be joined with higher risk than usual

Regards

Pavel

Cheers,
Gavin