Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 08:32:53PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Now I work on migration about 500K rows - and it is terrible work. It is 20
> years old project - lot of code is not clean, It is hard to migrate, it is hard
> to clean. Sure, there is not one line of tests.
>
> If we miss some, then it is modern robust tool for migration - big thanks to
> ora2pg maintainers and developers - without it, there is nothing free.

I think we need to focus on things that _can't_ be done first, rather
than things that require porting, e.g. until we had savepoints, you
couldn't migrate an application that needed it.  It wasn't a question of
porting --- there was just no way to port it.

Those _missing_ pieces should be a priority.

There are some workarounds for emulation of package variables - and I am pressing a design of session variables that can be well used like package variables.

Currently almost all basic functionality (related to PL/SQL) is available in Postgres. But the migration needs lot of hard manual work.

It is analogy with Cobol systems - some applications are too ugly so more level emulation is cheaper solution, than migration to some modern :)

Regards

Pavel

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again