Re: plpgsql_check_function - rebase for 9.3

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: plpgsql_check_function - rebase for 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

2013/12/9 Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>
On 12/8/13 11:24 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
     > #option check_on_first_start
     > #option check_on_create
     > #option check_newer

    what exactly check_newer means, does it mean whenever a function is
    replaced (changed)?

no, it means, so request for check will be ignored ever - some functions cannot be deeply checked due using dynamic SQL or dynamic created data types - temporary tables created in functions.

So presumably it would be check_never, not check_newer... :) BTW, it's not terribly hard to work around the temp table issue; you just need to create the expected table in the session when you create the function. But even in this case, I think it would still be good to check what we can, like at least basic plpgsql syntax.

I sorry.

You cannot to create temporary table - this check should not have any side effect - and creating temporary table can run some event trigger.

But there should be some hints for check like annotations or some similar. Or you can minimize a area where check will be disabled.

Do we really need first_start? ISTM that if you're dependent on run state then you're basically out of luck.

I afraid so checking on creation time is not enough for plpgsql.

and I have a very good experience with check on start from plpgsql_lint usage when I wrote a regression tests.

A "first start" doesn't create dependency on state - but just more preciously define a time, when checking will be done. Probably a option check_create_and_start can be useful.

Regards

Pavel

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net