От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: row filtering for logical replication
Дата
Re: row filtering for logical replication  (Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>)
Re: row filtering for logical replication  (Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 3:49 PM Ajin Cherian <itsajin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Attaching version 39-

Some comments on 0006

--
 /*
+ * Write UPDATE to the output stream using cached virtual slots.
+ * Cached updates will have both old tuple and new tuple.
+ */
+void
+logicalrep_write_update_cached(StringInfo out, TransactionId xid, Relation rel,
+                TupleTableSlot *oldtuple, TupleTableSlot *newtuple,
bool binary)
+{

Function, logicalrep_write_update_cached is exactly the same as
logicalrep_write_update, except calling logicalrep_write_tuple_cached
vs logicalrep_write_tuple.  So I don't like the idea of making
complete duplicate copies. instead either we can keep a if check or we
can pass this logicalrep_write_tuple(_cached) as a function pointer.

--

Looking further, I realized that "logicalrep_write_tuple" and
"logicalrep_write_tuple_cached" are completely duplicate except first
one is calling "heap_deform_tuple" and then using local values[] array
and the second one is directly using the slot->values[] array, so in
fact we can pass this also as a parameter or we can put just one if
check the populate the values[] and null array, so if it is cached we
will point directly to the slot->values[] otherwise
heap_deform_tuple(), I think this should be just one simple check.
--
+
+/*

IMHO, the comments should explain how it is different from the
pgoutput_row_filter function.  Also comments are saying "If it returns
true, the change is replicated, otherwise, it is not" which is not
exactly true for this function, I mean based on that the caller will
change the action.  So I think it is enough to say what this function
is doing but not required to say what the caller will do based on what
this function returns.

--

+    for (i = 0; i < desc->natts; i++)
+    {

Put some comments over this loop about what it is trying to do, and
overall I think there are not sufficient comments in the
pgoutput_row_filter_update_check function.

--
+        /*
+          * Unchanged toasted replica identity columns are

Is it ever possible that if the attribute is not NULL in the old slot
still it is stored as VARATT_IS_EXTERNAL_ONDISK? I think no, so
instead of adding
this last condition in check it should be asserted inside the if check.

--
 static bool
-pgoutput_row_filter(PGOutputData *data, Relation relation, HeapTuple

This function definition header is too long to fit in one line, so
better to break it.  I think running will be a good idea.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar