Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2014-04-01 13:37:57 -0300, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> > In the GSoC proposal page [1] I received some suggestions to strech goals:
> >
> > * "ALTER TABLE name SET UNLOGGED". This is essentially the reverse of the
> > core proposal, which is "ALTER TABLE name SET LOGGED". Yes, I think that
> > should definitely be included. It would be weird to have SET LOGGED but not
> > SET UNLOGGED.
>
> Yes, that makes sense.
>
> > * Allow unlogged indexes on logged tables.
>
> I don't think it's realistic to build the infrastructure necessary for
> that as part of gsoc. The reasons have been explained somewhere in this
> thread.
>
> > * Implement "ALTER TABLE name SET LOGGED" without rewriting the whole
> > table, when wal_level = minimal.
>
> Yea, maybe.
>
> > * Allow unlogged materialized views.
>
> I don't think that's realistic either.

Thanks Andres for your comments.

Anyway I added this "additional goals" to proposal and as Heikki said:

"It's actually nice to have several separate goals like this, it means that if you finish the task faster than expected, you can move on to the next goal, and if one task takes longer than expected so that you don't finish all the work, we'll still have something useful."

I hope you can help me in some way with this project too. :-)

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL