Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> writes:
> > But I'm thinking about this patch and would not be interesting to have a
> > FDW to manipulate the hba file? Imagine if we are able to manipulate the
> > HBA file using INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.
>
> Since the HBA file is fundamentally order-dependent, while SQL tables
> are fundamentally not, that doesn't seem like a great API match.  You
> could probably brute-force something that would work, but it would very
> much be a case of using a hammer to solve a screwdriver problem.

Maybe, but my intention is provide an easy way to edit HBA entries. With an extension or API to edit HBA entries many developers of PostgreSQL tools (ie. pgadmin, phppgadmin, etc) will be benefited.

Perhaps a fdw can't be the best choice, maybe a complete new SQL syntax to manipulate HBA entries like we did with ALTER SYSTEM. It's just some thoughts about it.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL